Thursday, March 21, 2013

About Me

Jessica Henrie Pettit

I wrote my first newspaper by hand when I was six years old. I made up stories recounting the adventures of my many stuffed animals, drew comics and prepared the final product for delivery by folding and rolling them up just like real papers, then delivered them hot off the press to family members. As I grew older, I considered pursuing many different careers, but it was my experience writing for my high school newspaper that finally made up my mind. I caught the bug; I discovered I loved the variety of topics and people I encountered every day, as well as the excitement of getting published. I also love editing and web design, and strive to maintain these skills.

I graduated with a bachelors degree in journalism from Brigham Young University in April 2013. I learned fluent Spanish while serving as a full-time church service volunteer in El Salvador, July 2013-January 2015. I have a 2010 Career & Technical Education certification in web design and have published articles online at chem.byu.edu and jmhbackpack.wordpress.com, in The Daily Universe (BYU's student newspaper), The Deseret News, Sanpete Messenger and Tooele Transcript Bulletin. Please see my portfolio for selected articles. You may also browse a complete list of my published articles in my newsreel.

I currently work as a copywriter for StateFoodSafety and as a freelance journalist. Contact me through LinkedIn.